Friday, October 19, 2007

"let the praises ring..."

"When worship songs can only be sung by the talented, it becomes closer to entertainment than corporate worship. And only those who 'make the cut' are allowed to participate in the ministry of leading songs. A ministry that belongs in the hands of all God's people."

So how does that quote strike you? It’s from a book that doesn’t necessarily qualify as “the gospel” on the subject of church… but it sure does provoke some thought. One of our design team members offered it up as a catalyst, and went on to share from his personal experience:


“I have wrestled for over 20 years with my own perfectionism in music and life. I freely admit I have often concentrated so much on the execution of the music that I have forgotten the mission of music in worship. So here's what I want to say:

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PEOPLE SINGING not us being heard. With our sound systems, mics, drums, blazing guitars, lights, camera and action...that mission can be obscured at times. Let us be reminded that the PEOPLE must be heard and IT'S NOT ABOUT us. I think you all know this quite well; however, I just got reminded AGAIN.”


Kind of cool when the design team member offering up that kind of clear insight happens to be at the helm of this particular ship. Thanks for the good word, John.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home