Friday, October 19, 2007


"the word according to angie"
Our worship leaders pour their whole heart and soul into creating arrangements, confirming players, rehearsing their teams and finally leading us all in worship each weekend. But that’s not the whole story, because they also try to get their own minds on track, along with those on their team – to have a clear picture of what it means to “lead worship.” Some weeks ago Angie did this by “translating” a couple of passages of scripture as a devotional for the team. I thought it was a wonderfully fresh way to read these stories and interact with Scripture. See what you think:
Writes Angie…
“Here's something to think about..what does the line (in one of their worship songs) "Oh, God of Jacob" mean anyway? I've been looking it up...on Hebrew sights mostly. It made me think about what we're doing...leading people in worship. As I read, I kinda' felt like Moses... (Italicized stuff -Angie's thoughts)
Exodus 3:13-15
(v 13) "Moses said to God, 'Suppose I go to the Israelites
(people at Crosswinds)
and say to them
(in effect just by standing on the stage),
'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?'
(what's God really like? Does another religion know Him too?)
Then what shall I say?'
(Who am I to get up in front and say anything about YOU?)
(v 14) God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM.
(I AM is all that they need and more!)
This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you.'
(could it be that this isn't just a bunch of good musicians/speakers sharing our talents--but that we've been called, that it's God's plan pre-ordained for this coming weekend that WE share what He's like to people who have hearts ready to listen...and to the ones who are skeptical?)
(v15) God also said to Moses, 'Say to the Israelites, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers-the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob
(same God, experienced differently and worshiped differently, personally by these guys)
has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation."
(It's our job to cause people to remember who God is, and why they've come to look for Him)
Isaiah 2:3
"And many peoples will come and say, 'Come, let us go up to the mountain
(a higher place than my daily thoughts allow me to go)
of the LORD, To the house
(welcome, warm place, family)
of the God
(I AM!)
of Jacob
(that stealer, liar, fearful, fighting, stubborn guy)
That He
(God)
may teach us
(no matter what OUR faults are-I'm focusing on my big mouth today...)
concerning His ways And that we may
(have the chance to be enlightened, empowered, enabled to)
walk in His paths.' For the law
(God's way to do life)
will go forth from Zion
(God's safe place, peace)
And the word of the LORD
(awesome, reverenced, almighty God)
from Jerusalem."
--------------------------------------------------------
Bottom line - you can do one of two things:
1. let this passage inspire you about what it means to lead worship, and reflect on the character of the One who is worthy of our worship
2. try out this method of interacting with scripture by taking a passage, phrase by phrase, and and responding or rewording it in terms that help you understand it's meaning more clearly.
have fun!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home