Friday, July 27, 2007


surprised by humility

Isn’t it great how nice surprises often come at a time when you most need them? Yesterday I received an unexpected gift in the middle of a very unlikely conversation. It was a bright, encouraging light in an otherwise fairly dark day.

You may have noticed - there’s been much conversation and debate among worship arts volunteers over the question of what clothing or behavior is “appropriate, modest, non-distracting, functional, and God-honoring.” Good for us that we are expressing our individual thoughts, perceptions and passions in a logical, articulate way. Diversity is usually good.

Yesterday the cry for “my rights, my preferences, my needs” clamored just a little too long and loudly for me. It had beaten me down to the point of wanting to wave the white flag, disregard the requests, comments, and pleas I hear from the congregation on a regular basis and just say, “You know what? I give up. Wear what you want, do what you want, do what’s best for YOU and let the congregation learn to deal with it. After all, they don’t really matter. It’s US we need to think about.” (Relax. I came to my senses after a good night’s sleep.)

Ironically some of the people who’ve been the most vocal against dress code as it relates to them have also been the ones who have asked me as a leader to confront OTHERS about a particular habit, clothing or mannerism that is distracting to THEM. And they’re right. They deserve to worship without wincing or stumbling into an obstacle, just like everyone else. None of us WANTS to create a problem for others if we can avoid it.

So I gathered up my courage and did what we are all called to do at one point or another. With gentleness, humilty, and a whole lot of fear and trembling, I confronted the person who was providing the recurring distraction. I took a deep breath, apologized for my awkwardness and clumsiness, and spoke the truth in love on behalf of the people who want to focus on God, but were struggling over this one particular area.

Silence. Very long silence. (And then, the incredibly wonderful surprise… ) Humility. Appreciation. Genuine desire to serve Invisibly. Selflessly. More Humility. More Appreciation. Laughter. Friendship. Joy. Encouragement. Support. Team mates connected and united. Family members committed to serving our church family well. Hope…

Sure got to see the character of God reflected in the face sitting across my desk. It was a really nice surprise.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like something you should have those people that come with "reqeusts, comments, and please" have the chance to do. I mean, if they have an issue with what someone is wearing - maybe they should be the ones to go talk to that person.

2:20 PM  
Blogger crosswinds worship arts said...

Then i would have missed the wonderful surprise! But yeah, ideally people would have the strength and humility to look others in the eye and speak the truth in love.

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really didn't catch that everyone was winning and complaing about how things effect them. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the conversation at all. And i'm pretty sure that if you were that kind to everyone about the issue you'd be pleasantly suprised by the reaction every time. And it wouldn't even be an issue. I'm pretty sure that people would appreciate one on one confrontation rather than rules forming based on a one on one conversation that couild have been that cool but never happened.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home